Thursday, January 5, 2012

Tribute To ExpatWorkers.



It was a few minutes after a very fresh sun has just peeped over the eastern horizon. As is my habit, I took my camera and went out for a very leisurely ride. Almost cruising at the speed a person can comfortably walk, no that cannot be! A human walks about 4 miles an hour, so I must be moving a bit faster than most humans' comfort zones!
As I passed the area where our children take swimming lessons in Male’, I noticed this expatriate worker reading!  He had placed his white plastic chair strategically so that the sun’s golden rays fell on his book. I went past him and all my senses went off in unison like five invisible but quite bold alarm clocks! I am too mature to play Spiderman, but just like Peter Parker, I lifted the camera from the basket, adjusted few numbers and took an experimental shot to confirm the settings were OK. I must have been doing this for the last 29 years now but I still get excited when I see a human element I want record or write about.
He was reading from a book of supplications! I shot this one and another, trying hard not to distract him or disturb his intense concentration. I did not try to control my mind and let it wander and think what it wanted to think! This is a foreign worker, trying to earn a decent living for  his family. I did not see his face but I know no one would leave his home and travel to an unknown country to work unless  he has to. He may have mortgaged a mango tree or a paddy field or even his wife’s jewellery! And for her sake I hope some were left on her for her to feel girly!
What do we all want? We just want a salary we deserve (wouldn’t it be lovely if we get a wee bit more than we deserve?) we want a decent education for our kids. We want a clean house, a good wife and a God fearing husband who never hesitates to pray for his Lord!
ThankYou

No comments: