Sunday, December 11, 2011

Tribute To Icons From Home

There are icons that remind you of home. If you are abroad, just a fleeting look at these icons will make your mind race home and engulf you in an overpowering surge of nostalgia. The Stilt Fishermen of Sri Lanka, the colourful Karachi Busses or the Feluccas (traditional wooden boats) on the Nile or the Red Buses of London not to mention the Floating Markets of Bangkok! As for us, just a glimpse of the elegant and very distinctive inverted S shaped tiller on a rudder of a Maldive Dhoni will bring floods of memories to every expatriate Maldivian .

It was the full moon of Muharram 1433 Hejira last night. As only with full moons an eclipse also excited many of us. I tried to photograph this phenomenon but heavy clouds, drizzles and a literary meeting kept me from accomplishing this wish!

When I woke up it was a splendid full moon just an hour from bidding good bye to Maldives and I couldn’t resist the temptations to ‘take a shot’ at it!

I dedicate this picture of a very graceful tiller on a rudder and the still strong moon and the golden beams to all Maldivians abroad, and especially our students. Our students' dreams and longings are very dear to me, for my two older children are also pursuing their goals in overseas universities.

Modern technology has narrowed the gap I felt when I was in another continent for too long! Letters that took a fortnight has been replaced with text messages that crisscross the globe in lightning speed. Instant chatting and emails & also Social Networks have eased what homesick students go through daily. However,the sounds, smells & tastes of home is what many of us think as we succumb to another night abroad!

No comments: