Monday, December 12, 2011

Tribute To A Flower

We are so easily prejudiced by a smell or just by the appearance of a familiar insect, an animal, a shrub or even a flower, just to name a few on an endless list!.

I must confess that the smell of the Perry Winkle މަލިކު ރުވާ(Vinca Minor) was not my favourite, to say the least. I tucked my opinion on this beautiful flower at the back of my head till I saw a full one-page advertisement on this Madagascar native, in Time magazine! Now why would some NGO spend that much money on such a common flower, I thought. Some of my friends say with amusement that ‘Sameer will read anything and everything’. To prove these close friends right, I read the whole page! The advertisement was immensely informative and ignited my curiosity!

The folk healers of Madagascar and Cuba have been taking full advantage of this colourful ‘pharmacy’ for ages! They treat diabetes, eye irritations among many, It is water boiled with Perry Winkle flowers. Indian doctors also knew this flower had soothing properties in cases of Bee or Wasp stings. Traditional doctors of Hawaii used this flower to stop bleeding in large wounds. Modern day doctors have found cancer fighting properties in this remarkable flower! And as is the vogue, now the talk is that this flower (the white) helps you reduce your access weight! But do not take a handful when your travel, airline officials will not be amused!

With the magic of Google and countless informative Blogs, I could go on! But just keep in mind that because of our own prejudice, we so often look down on people, plants, insects and even some inventions. Very often a few years later we marvel at their wisdom, and also their medicinal properties or usefulness! Countless prophets, wise men and writers and painters lived with us and were ridiculed, tortured and persecuted by their closest of people. The ‘weed’ you trod on or simply throw away may be the life saving miracle of the future!

No comments: