Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tribute To Craftsmen

(ފޮތް ގޮނޑި) Quran Holder or Book Holder is indeed an ingenious device. The classic ones are made out of one-piece of wood with no metal hinges at all. This has fascinated me perhaps my whole life! As my knife skills improved and as I grew bolder (handicraft-wise) I wanted to make one myself. Yes, it is very easy to buy one as these are readily available in Bookshops all over Maldives. But I love to try my hands on a new craft before reaching for my wallet.

The above is an experiment I tried with carrots! Please do not be so surprised, for carrot is a perfect medium to whittle flowers, goldfish and as I learnt to my amusement, miniature book holders also! I have photographed these two miniature carrot book holders (each is made of one piece of carrot) on my favourite teapot to show their size. Although it is easy to guess the size when you know this is made of carrot! For it can only be as wide as the thickness of a carrot! But for those of us who were bitten by the photography bug , we will make any excuse to photograph anything and everything!

It is widely accepted that you truly appreciate someone’s craft only when you try to do that for yourself. Whenever I get the chance I cannot help but marvel at the difficult grooves carved to make the foldable hinges in a block of wood! The intricate decorations the wood workers carve on these elaborately made masterpieces just make me watch each Quran Holder with renewed amazement. They say familiarity breeds contempt, but for me it is the opposite, I am only sorry people do not stop to look consciously at these beautiful works of art and only associate these with our youngest and the oldest! How right was Dr. Wayne W Dyer when he named one of his best books “ You'll See It When You Believe It

No comments: