Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tribute To Professor Harry Eng

I have always been fascinated with ships in bottles and wanted to try my skills with this amazing hobby. In my preparations and in the process of encouraging myself to plunge into this fascinating world of bottles and ships with tall masts and a score of sails all inside a small bottle, I came across something equally intriguing! The famous Impossible Bottles! The bottle is all right, what is seemingly impossible is the relatively large items that can be seen undamaged or re arranged inside a normal bottle.

A full deck of cards inside a normal olive oil or any glass bottle, is normal for those who pursue this unique hobby. The above is my version of an Impossible Bottle I made as a gift to my nephew.

I have constructed two wooden ladders, tied them at the top with strings so they would remain intact. Before putting the cork back I have inserted a wooden cross much larger than the neck of the bottle!

Professor Harry Eng, the Godfather of this art always gave the message “ THINK” in every bottle. So I also have shamelessly done that. His trademark and the wise word is glued from inside the bottle. “Sameer 2011” is glued from inside the bottle too!

Professor Harry Eng who popularized this hobby was a school teacher, former minister and elementary school teacher, educational consultant and magician.. He never messed with the bottle!

Harry Eng made some unbelievable bottles. Some claim he made more than 600. His signature was a knot in each bottle. Sometimes huge, sometimes small, but always bigger than the neck. The amazing Harry Eng died in June of 1996.

When friends scrutinise my humble endeavours, in imitating the great man, I assure them " No tricks, just smart thinking and old fashioned patience & dexterity"

4 comments:

seylani said...

Interesting hobby and great work from your part!
Thanks for the info on impossible bottle master.

SAMEER said...

You are welcome.

M D Eng said...

Thank you for this tribute to my father. Glad to know that his work continues to inspire people to use their brain!

seylani said...

Great.....